Get your puppy or dog to drink more water without the hassle of changing your dog’s water every day by using a Dog Pet Fountain.
Has your puppy or dog developed a taste for water out of your sink, or toilet, while virtually ignoring their filled-to-the-brim, water bowl? Or have you noticed that your puppy or dog doesn’t drink water other than an occasional “lap” from his water bowl?
Surprisingly, puppies and dogs actually can tell the difference between oxygenated, chlorine, and pesticide free water.
Do you struggle to have the time to provide clean, fresh water by refilling your puppy’s or dog’s water bowl daily? Looking for an easy way to get your puppy or dog to drink more water? The answer to the above is a dog pet fountain.
If you don’t change your dog’s water daily and it is not oxygenated, it may taste to your dog like it is stagnant, or like it has a spit filled-film around the bowl.
Puppies, dogs with health problems, dogs that are nursing, dogs that are older, and dogs that have kidney disease face a better chance at being dehydrated. The dog pet fountain will entice your puppy or dog to drink water and help to keep them healthier.
The Advantages of a Dog Pet Fountain:
- A dog pet fountain aerates your dog’s water by propelling the water into the bowl of the unit. By providing aeration, you are providing oxygen into your dog’s water. Oxygen slows the development of bacteria and improves the odor, clarity and taste of the water you are giving your dog.
- The added benefits of moving water fountains or dog pet fountains is that they also can contain charcoal filters. Charcoal filters out harmful chemicals commonly found in tap water such as chlorine and even pesticides.
- Puppies and dogs that like the taste of their water want to drink water more frequently. A dog who drinks more frequently is hydrated and less likely to become dehydrated. Hydration keeps kidneys healthier and improves kidney function. Kidney function is vital to your puppy or dog’s ability to filter waste products and remove those products into their urine. If there are problems with your dog getting enough water to their kidneys, waste products will eventually build up sometimes to toxic levels, resulting in kidney failure.
- A dog pet fountain provides an ample supply of water. Water, provides the means for nutrients to travel to your dogs organs and tissues and helps to regulate body temperature, especially important for hot days or after exercising your puppy or dog.
- Dog Pet Fountains have the capacity to (usually) hold a gallon of water or slightly more. Why is that an advantage? It gives you the ability to fill up the reservoir and forget it, until the reservoir empties. This means you won’t have to be running back and forth as often to the sink trying to balance a large slippery bowl, slopping water all over the floor.
Recommended INDOOR dog pet fountain models:
Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain 168oz (New Model)
Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
This is a quiet dog pet fountain that is not as noisy as other models. Can be plugged into any US outlet. Some of the features are:
- Because this has a 5 inch free falling water stream it oxygenates the water really well. Better than some models which just “tumble” the water over.
- Holds 1/2 gallon of water (plus a ½ gallon reservoir), which requires less visits back and forth to the sink than ordinary dog bowls.
- Includes reservoir, replaceable charcoal filter, snap-on lid, pre-filter, and submersible pump.
- For small, medium, or large dogs. Although, you may want to consider the Drinkwell Big Dog Fountain for large dogs such as Great Danes, Mastiffs, etc.
- Bowl and Reservoir are dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.
The Drinkwell Platinum dog pet fountain gets very good customer reviews among different companies that carry it. It does seem to drip (slightly) when filling up the reservoir. This shouldn’t be a problem though as the best way to prevent that is to place a dish towel underneath it as you carry it from the sink to the unit. Also as with all products, you can’t expect anything (including your car) to run without some maintenance. Expect some minor cleaning of the unit and the motor. The unit itself should not be too difficult to clean, as it snaps together and the bowl and reservoir can be put in the dishwasher. Motor life should be fine as long as you do clean the unit. Dirt, or other types of debris can clog up the pump. Also running the pump dry is never recommended. Overall, a great choice for dog pet fountain.
Recommended INDOOR/OUTDOOR dog pet fountain:
Drinkwell Outdoor Dog Fountain (largest water capacity in dog pet fountains at 3.5 gallons)
Drinkwell Indoor/Outdoor Pet Fountain
This is both an indoor and outdoor dog pet fountain. It has the ability to take outdoor weather. Some of the features are:
- High-impact UV resistant plastic for placement inside the home or out.
- Deep bowl, high walls to help control spills. Heavy made to last.
- Can be run without filter.
- Easy to clean, dishwasher safe.
- The largest water capacity at 3.5 gallons.
- Great for big dogs, or dogs that like to move their bowl around and splash around water.
The Drinkwell outdoor dog fountain gets good reviews, also. The noise level was mentioned as a possible issue, however, some people who bought the unit said they thought it was quiet. If you are concerned about the noise level, get a mat to place under the fountain. Also, if decide to use the fountain indoors, you may want to put it in a laundry room or spare bedroom. If you are in areas that freeze, place your unit on a patio or indoors during winter, just to be on the safe side. As with the other fountain, some maintenance is required to keep the fountain clean and the motor running smoothly.
The important thing to remember is that no mater what – if you get a dog pet fountain or not, especially on those hot summer days to keep your pet well-hydrated. This is especially critical for outside dogs. Overall, the Drinkwell Indoor/Outdoor pet fountain is a great choice for an outdoor pet fountain.
So provide your puppy or dog with plenty of fresh water. And if you can’t change your dog’s water daily, or are struggling with your puppy or dog getting enough water for any reason, consider getting a pet fountain. The results may pleasantly surprise you.